Morganna’s Alchemy has been following the Ecocert standard since inception almost 14 years ago.
We love Green Chemistry, and would like to let you know what the values of picking ingredients with the ecocert label, actually means.
Recently, there has been a movement within various organization to bring together there eco-friendly standards all together. The new name of Ecocert, is therefore now “Cosmos”
The COSMOS-standard is a new cosmetic certification developed to harmonize various certifications and labels in order to create one standard that is internationally recognized for natural and organic cosmetics.
The “Cosmetic Organic Standard” was officially launched in February 2017, and is a result of Five European associations and certification bodies – ECOCERT (France), Cosmebio® (France), BDIH® (Germany), AIAB/ICEA (Italy) and Soil Association® (UK) – who were working together on the promotion of organic and natural products.
The main goal, is to uphold the inspection and certification of organic and ecological products, eco-friendly systems and respect for the environment throughout the production chain.
Today, over 1,600 companies, and more than 25,000 products sold into more than 45 countries are certified under COSMOS.
The guiding principles are to:
- promoting the use of products from organic agriculture, and respecting biodiversity
- using natural resources responsibly and respecting the environment
- using processing and manufacturing that are clean and respectful of human health and environment
- integrating and developing the concept of “Green Chemistry” instead of using petrochemicals
- providing transparency for consumers
The COSMOS-standard surrounding the origin and processing of cosmetic ingredients are classified into five categories:
- Physically processed agro-ingredients – organic agriculture that reflects pure or allows simple processing;
- Chemically processed agro-ingredients – certifiable by using agricultural organic raw materials and manufacturing processes that are clean and authorised, all under the umbrella of “Green Chemistry”;
- Water – non-certifiable and must comply with hygienic standards;
- Minerals and ingredients of mineral origin – non-certifiable, requires clear environmental rules in their use, and in further processing;
- Other ingredients – a very limited list of preservatives and some ingredients allowed as long as there are no effective natural alternatives available to ensure the safety of consumers or efficacy of the product.
COSMOS-standard certified products are labeled with the signature “COSMOS ORGANIC” or “COSMOS NATURAL”, depending on their certification level.
The packaging must be ecological, recyclable and reduced to a minimum. An environmental waste management plan for the production site must be established.